This virtual instructor led training session has been designed for individuals who are new to steam turbine operations and maintenance. The course also provides an excellent review for individuals who have been involved with steam turbines, but have not received formal training. In this course we discuss the fundamental theory of operation and apply that theory to a discussion of the steam turbine components. If one is to operate, maintain, or manage steam turbines then one needs to know why the turbine works as it does, what are some of the design differences, and what is the significance of the various components. Nozzles, blades, shells, rotors, valves; all are covered as to their function. HPC’s instructional staff on this topic is significant. The materials were developed by those who have been working on steam turbines their whole career.
Also, in today’s market there would appear to be a need for high-quality virtual instructor led training sessions. The phrase high-quality applies to ‘content’ and the ‘presentation’ skills. We see the following advantages in the delivery of our virtual instructor led training session:
- Greater schedule flexibility since we don’t have to deal with travel schedules.
- Lesser cost as there is the travel & living expenses is now zero.
- Lesser time consumption as travel time to / from the site or classroom is eliminated.
- Maintain the same level of content (sometimes even improve that content) by greater attention given to the need for a quality presentation.
- Improved even more easy to read text content.
All of the above advantages along with HPC’s history of providing knowledgeable / equipment experienced instructors.
Topical Outline includes: Principles of Steam Turbine Operation, Steam Path Component Descriptions, Steam Valves, Unit Descriptions, Intro to Operations, and an Intro to the Turbine Auxiliary Systems.
At the completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Describe the function of turbine nozzles.
- Describe the function of turbine blades/buckets.
- Describe the energy conversions that take place in impulse and reaction turbines and identify where the conversions occur.
- Describe the function of various steam turbine components.
- Describe the areas where the turbine is sealed and why.
- Explain how the turbine expands and why this is important.
- Explain the function of each of the steam inlet and auxiliary valves.
- Describe full arc and partial arc operation.
- Describe fundamental operation of the steam turbine auxiliary systems.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, ST201, Steam Turbine Fundamentals, Written by Joseph Markey, revised by Dan Anderson, Ray Militello and Harold Parker. It is a valuable desktop reference in addition to being able to enhance the learning process.
- A Certificate of Completion, transmitted via email, with 10.5 PDH awarded.
Course dates / location / fee
See www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for detail on the course dates and registration fees.
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar.
The following schedule is for HPC’s ‘Virtual Instructor Led Training’ session on Steam Turbine Fundamentals. The on-line schedule is made up of three 4-hour sessions, typically 8AM to 12 noon, EST (or EDT depending upon the time of the year).
- Operating Principles: Fundamental Theory, Impulse and Reaction Turbines
- Turbine Component Construction: Turbine Sections, Shells, Casings, Cylinders, HP-IP/LP, Nozzles/Diaphragms, Stationary Blades, Turbine Seals, Turbine Rotors/Spindles, Blades/Buckets, Standards/Pedestals, Bearings
- Main & Auxiliary Steam Valves: Steam Chests, Main Stop/Throttle Valve, Control/Governor Valve, Reheat Valves, Auxiliary Steam Valves
- Unit Descriptions
- Principles of Steam Turbine Operations: Prewarming, Starting and Loading, Full Arc Admission, Partial Arc Admission, Turbine Supervisory Instruments
- Steam Turbine Auxiliary Systems: Lube Oil System, Shaft Sealing System, High Pressure Fluid System
Frequently asked questions
- Will HPC Technical Services schedule a virtual on-line course for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation. The advantage of doing a class such as this is we could adjust the content somewhat and make use of materials specific to your application.
- Will HPC Technical Services schedule an on-site, site-specific course for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation. Course can be steam turbines only, or steam turbine generators. Again, the advantage of doing a class such as this is we could adjust the content somewhat and make use of materials specific to your application.
- We notice that a generator fundamentals class is often scheduled to immediately follow the steam turbine fundamentals class. Do you offer a discount for one wishing to attend both? The answer is yes.
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? $129 + S&H.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in conducting functional checkouts or troubleshooting problems? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
Steam Turbine Certification
There are three levels of a Professor Turbine certification that require this course.
- Steam Turbine Field Engineering Certification
- Steam Turbine Mechanical Maintenance Technician Certification
- Steam Turbine I&C Maintenance Technician Certification
Those who attend this course and are interested in this certification will be, upon course completion, scheduled to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com, for detail on this certification program.