There are NO SMALL PROBLEMS when it comes to your GENERATOR!! Learn more about proper operations to include start up conditions, synchronizing, use of capability curves, and abnormal events. Regarding the abnormal events, learn about typical causes, potential damage, and the function of the protective relays.
Generators driven by Combustion Turbines, Diesels, Hydroelectric Turbines, or Steam Turbines; it makes no difference; we cover them all as it applies to safe and proper generator operation. This course is intended for Control Room Operators, Shift Supervisors, Engineers, Technicians, and Operation Superintendents/Supervisors who operate these generating units.
Also, in today’s market there would appear to be a need for high-quality virtual instructor led training sessions. The phrase high-quality applies to ‘content’ and the ‘presentation’ skills. We see the following advantages in the delivery of our virtual instructor led training session:
- Greater schedule flexibility since we don’t have to deal with travel schedules.
- Lesser cost as there is the travel & living expenses is now zero.
- Lesser time consumption as travel time to / from the site or classroom is eliminated.
- Maintain the same level of content (sometimes even improve that content) by greater attention given to the need for a quality presentation.
- Improved even more easy to read text content.
All of the above advantages along with HPC’s history of providing knowledgeable / equipment experienced instructors.
A topical outline includes: Generator Theory for Non-Engineers, Brief Summary of System Operation, and the Generator Construction.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, Generator Fundamentals, a $129 value, as written by Harold Parker. This text contains a significant number of equipment photographs, graphics and data tables. It is a valuable desktop reference in addition to being able to enhance the learning process.
- A Certificate of Completion forwarded to you by email.
Course dates / location / fee
See www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for detail on the course dates and registration fees.
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the proper procedure for preparing the generator for synchronous operation.
- Demonstrate the ability to use the reactive capability.
- Describe the various methods used to monitor generator temperatures.
- Describe the generator response to frequency and/or voltage deviations.
- List a minimum of 15 alarm conditions occurring on a generator where operator action may be required.
- For each alarm condition listed:
- Describe the likely results (damage) resulting from no proper response.
- Describe, in layman terms, the device providing the annunciation.
- State whether automatic protective relaying exists and describe any actions taken.
- Describe how an operator may validate alarm conditions.
- Describe the most correct action to be taken upon validation.
- Introduction to Generator Controls: Speed Governor Operation, Automatic Voltage Regulator, DC Excitation Systems, Rotating Exciters, Static Excitation Systems, Generator Rotor Angle, And Parallel Operation
- Generator Auxiliary Systems Normal/Abnormal Operations: Hydrogen Systems, Seal Oil Systems, and Stator Winding Cooling Systems.
- Normal Operation: Preparation for startup, Synchronizing (Manual and Automatic considerations), Loading, Reactive Capability Curves, Vee Curves, Unloading, Monitoring Temperatures, Shutdown Methods.
- Intro to Abnormal Operations: Relationship Between Operation, Protection and Alarms, Alarms, Protection When Off-Line, Protective Actions for Generator Faults
- Abnormal Operation and Protection Recommendations that include System Steady and Dynamic Conditions, Frequency Deviations, Voltage Deviations, Instability, Loss of Synchronism, Stator Over Current, Stator Ground Fault, Stator Phase-to-Phase Fault, Over Voltage, Over Volts-Per-Hertz, Field Overheating, Field Ground, Loss of Excitation, Bearing Vibration, Synchronizing Errors, Motoring, Reduced Seal Oil Pressure, Loss of Stator Coolant, High Water Conductivity, Local Overheating, Unbalanced Armature Currents, Breaker Failure, System Back Up, Voltage Surges, Transmission Line Planned Switching, High Speed Reclosing, Accidental Energization
All HPC instructors are educated ‘experts’ on the subjects they teach, with years of relevant hands-on experience (typically 20+ years), and have proven instructional skills. Brief resumes can be looked up on HPC’s website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com.
Frequently asked questions
- Will HPC Technical Services schedule a virtual on-line course for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation. The advantage of doing a class such as this is we could adjust the content somewhat and make use of materials specific to your application.
- Will HPC Technical Services schedule an on-site, site-specific course for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation. Course can be steam turbines only, or steam turbine generators. Again, the advantage of doing a class such as this is we could adjust the content somewhat and make use of materials specific to your application.
- We notice that a steam or gas turbine fundamentals class is often scheduled to precede the generator fundamentals class. Do you offer a discount for one wishing to attend both? The answer is yes.
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? $129 + S&H.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in conducting functional checkouts or troubleshooting problems? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
Generator Operator Certification
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required.
Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com, for detail on this certification program.