There are NO SMALL PROBLEMS when it comes to your GENERATOR!! Be prepared for your next outage. Make sure you fully understand Safety, Testing, Inspection/Repair as well as disassembly/reassembly. Don't be surprised. Be prepared. Register for this course today. This course is designed for plant engineers who have a specific need to better understand generator equipment. Plant electrical and mechanical maintenance technician’s benefit as well.
- Corona discharge, what does that mean?
- How do you repair fused stator punchings?
- What components should be high potential tested?
- How can we avoid accidental injury when testing the generator?
- What are the probable causes of grounded fields?
- ...And the list of answered questions goes on!!
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the major activities associated with generator maintenance.
- Describe proper generator disassembly and reassembly sequences.
- Describe the procedures for cleaning generator components.
- Describe the procedures for inspection of generator components.
- Given any generator component, describe the types of damage that might be found, and what are probable causes of that damage.
- Describe the various repair methods for defective component condition.
- List all those electrical tests commonly performed on large AC generators.
- For each electrical test listed, describe the purpose of conducting that test; i.e., what are we looking for as a result of the test?
- Describe the procedures for the various generator tests.
- List and describe safety precautions for the conducting of these electrical tests.
Course dates / fee
This Virtual Instructor-Led Training session is scheduled to be delivered over 4 one-half days. See www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar.
All HPC instructors are educated ‘experts’ on the subjects they teach, with years of relevant hands-on experience (typically 20+ years), and have proven instructional skills. Brief resumes can be looked up on HPC’s website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com.
Course Topical Outline
Introduction (1 hour)
Outage Planning & Scheduling (1 hour): Why Maintenance, Preparation, Tooling, Documentation, Pre-Shutdown Maintenance, Decision Making
Disassembly (2 hours)
Generator Stator Maintenance Activities (4 hours): Why Generators Fail, Special Tools, Spare Parts, Safety Precautions, Disassembly/Reassembly Procedure, Cleaning and Checklists. Stator Visual Inspection to include; Loose Slot Wedges, Discoloration, Loose Punchings, Bar Vibration, Girth Cracks, Corona, Loose/Broken Ties, Liquid Connections, Air Baffles, Oil Deflectors, and Hydrogen Seals.
Generator Rotor Maintenance Activities (3 hours): Rotor Visual Inspection to include Collector Rings, Rotor Journal Surface, Terminal Studs, Hydrogen Seal areas, Axial Flow Fans, End Turns, Field Slot Wedges, Retaining Rings.
Generator Electrical Tests (1 hour): Safety Considerations
Generator Stator Electrical Tests (2 hours): Winding Resistance, Insulation Resistance, Dielectric Absorption, Direct Current Leakage, Dissipation Factor Test, Radio Noise (Corona), High Potential Test, Ring Test, EL-CID
Generator Rotor Electrical Tests (1 hours): Resistance Test, PI, Impedance Testing, Flux Pattern Test, Pole Drop, High Potential Testing, Air Gap Flux Probe Testing.
Frequently asked questions
- Will HPC Technical Services offer this course for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? Yes our Generator Maintenance text is available at $219 + S&H.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in the planning and implementation of our outages? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, Generator Maintenance, a $219 value, as written by Harold Parker, with technical support by via HPC's Advanced Generator Maintenance Seminar personnel, primarily AGT Services. This text contains a significant number of equipment photographs, graphics and data tables. It is a valuable desktop reference in addition to being able to enhance the learning process.
- A Certificate of Completion with 14 PDH