There are NO SMALL PROBLEMS when it comes to your GENERATOR!! Learn how modern generators work on the power system grid. Emphasis is placed on taking the magic out of generation operations. Attending personnel learn what really happens in the air gap. An understanding of why and how the voltage / frequency varies is extremely important in being able to make the “best” operating decision. The interesting part of operating a generator is that you do not know when this information is going to be needed, and when this understanding is required there will be no time to consult the book nor call the subject matter expert.
Generators driven by Combustion Turbines, Diesels, Hydroelectric Turbines, or Steam Turbines; it makes no difference; we cover them all as it applies to safe and proper generator operation. This course is intended for Control Room Operators, Shift Supervisors, Engineers, Technicians, and Operation Superintendents/Supervisors who operate these generating units.
Also, in today’s market there would appear to be a need for high-quality virtual instructor led training sessions. The phrase high-quality applies to ‘content’ and the ‘presentation’ skills. We see the following advantages in the delivery of our virtual instructor led training session:
- Greater schedule flexibility since we don’t have to deal with travel schedules.
- Lesser cost as there is the travel & living expenses is now zero.
- Lesser time consumption as travel time to / from the site or classroom is eliminated.
- Maintain the same level of content (sometimes even improve that content) by greater attention given to the need for a quality presentation.
- Improved even more easy to read text content.
All of the above advantages along with HPC’s history of providing knowledgeable / equipment experienced instructors.
A topical outline includes: Generator Theory for Non-Engineers, Brief Summary of System Operation, and the Generator Construction.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, Generator Fundamentals, a $129 value, as written by Harold Parker. This text contains a significant number of equipment photographs, graphics and data tables. It is a valuable desktop reference in addition to being able to enhance the learning process.
- A Certificate of Completion forwarded to you by email.
Course dates / location / fee
See www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for detail on the course dates and registration fees.
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe, in layman terms, synchronism and the interaction of magnetic fields within the generator air gap.
- Describe the generation and transmission of VARs and WATTs as well as the effect upon generator operations.
- Provide a fundamental description of the North American grid.
- List those major components that make up the generator stator and rotors.
- State the function and describe those major components listed above.
All HPC instructors are educated ‘experts’ on the subjects they teach, with years of relevant hands-on experience (typically 20+ years), and have proven instructional skills. Brief resumes can be looked up on HPC’s website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com.
Generator Theory for Non-Engineers: Fundamentals of Generator Design, Stator Armature Windings, Armature Reaction, Rotor Magnetic Fields, Generator Loads, Power Transfer and Load Angle, Active and Reactive Power, Power Factor, Power Flow, Generators Under Load
North American Grid Description
Construction: Stator Frame, Stator Core, Stator Windings, Coolers, End Shield, Rotor Assembly, Rotor Forging, Field Windings, Retaining Rings, Collector Rings, Exciters, Collectors
Frequently asked questions
- Will HPC Technical Services schedule a virtual on-line course for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation. The advantage of doing a class such as this is we could adjust the content somewhat and make use of materials specific to your application.
- Will HPC Technical Services schedule an on-site, site-specific course for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation. Course can be steam turbines only, or steam turbine generators. Again, the advantage of doing a class such as this is we could adjust the content somewhat and make use of materials specific to your application.
- We notice that a steam or gas turbine fundamentals class is often scheduled to precede the generator fundamentals class. Do you offer a discount for one wishing to attend both? The answer is yes.
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? $129 + S&H.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in conducting functional checkouts or troubleshooting problems? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
Generator Operator Certification
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.)
Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com, for detail on this certification program.