This course was prepared at a request of one of good clients. They explained that they had upgraded their control systems a few years ago, but still have the old design front standard and valve power actuators. They further explained that their I&C personnel had a need to further their knowledge on the O&M of these systems and wanted to know if HPC could help. Our response was that if there is “one” asking for such a course, there is probably a few dozen who have a need. This two day course is the result. In this course we emphasize the mechanical-hydraulic operation of the controls and, conceptually, how this system must interact with the upgraded turbine control system. In developing this course we are making a basic assumption that the upgraded control system is not GE supplied.
includes: Review of turbine steam path, Front Standard component O&M, Steam Valve operation, Valve Actuator component O&M, Troubleshooting.
Recommended for Engineers and E&I Technicians.
Upon completion of this course the participants will be able to:
- Provide a fundamental description of the steam path, including the identification of all major components.
- Identify those major components found in the GE Mk-I Front Standard.
- Describe normal operation of the GE Mk-I front standard components.
- Describe routine calibration and preventive maintenance procedures on the GE Mk-I front standard.
- Identify those major components found in a servo-controlled valve actuator.
- Identify those major components found in a non-servo-controlled valve actuator.
- Describe normal operation of the turbine main steam valves.
- Describe routine calibration and preventive maintenance procedures on both types of valve actuators.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to troubleshoot problems regarding these systems.
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date, pay in advance, and pay for only 2 (the 3rd
participant is free)!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
- Steam Path Overview: Main Stop Valves, Control Valves, HP Turbine Shell, Nozzle, Rotor, Intermediate (Reheat) Stop Valve, Intercept Valve, IP Turbine, LP Turbine.
- Front Standard Components: Control Rotor, Mechanical Overspeed Trip, Mechanical Trip Valve, Lockout Valve, Master Trip Solenoid Valve, Extraction Relay Valve.
- Front Standard Operation: Resetting, Overspeed Trip, Mechanical Trip, Testing.
- Conceptual Control Interface
- Malfunction & Troubleshooting
- Steam Valve Operations: MSV, CV, ISV, IV
- Servo Operated Actuator: ETS, Disk Dump Valve, Shutoff Valve, Fast Acting Solenoid Valve, Servo Valve
- Non-Servo Operated Actuator: ETS, Disk Dump Valve, Shutoff Valve, Fast Acting Solenoid Valve, Test Valve
- Operational Sequence
- Valve Testing Sequence
- Malfunctions and Troubleshooting
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? No, this course of study is too dependent upon print reading.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services perform a functional checkout and calibration of your control system during the upcoming outage OR provide troubleshooting support should it be required? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, (GE) Mk-II Front Standard & Valve Actuator Controls, as written by Harold Parker.
- A Certificate of Completion with 14 PHD awarded.
Steam Turbine I&C Maintenance Certification
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.) Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com
, for detail on this certification program.