The intent of this presentation is to familiarize mechanics, technicians and engineers with the design, operations, and maintenance of the (GE) UT-70 Mechanical Hydraulic Controlled Feed Pump Turbines. To maintain this control system we need to appreciate the equipment that is controlled. Lack of understanding of the ‘big-picture’ is often the root-reason (if we can coin a phrase) as to why in-house technicians are unable to troubleshoot a problem themselves. In this course we address this “root-reason” then move onto the use of the tools (print systems) available. The complete concept of turbine controls is presented as well as the detail of the components that make up this mechanical control system.
A topical outline
includes: Feed Pump Turbine Fundamentals and Auxiliaries, Basic Principles of Speed Governing, Speed Governing System using Hydraulic Relays, Description of Prolop UT70-15 and UT70-30 Turbine Arrangements, UT-70 MHC Turbine Arrangement, Description of UT70-15 MHC Control System, General, Speed Control System, Speed Setting System Controls Diagram, Trip Valves Function, Trip and Reset Mechanism, Operating Cylinder and Air Motor Friction Lag Limits, Travel vs. Travel Lag Checks, Troubleshooting to Correct Friction and Lost Motion, Explanation of UT70 Lever Diagram, Sequence of Lever Setting Instructions.
Upon successful completion of this course the participant should be able to:
- Describe the major components of a feed pump turbine.
- List and describe the usage of all required drawings and support documents required for system calibration.
- Describe the relationship between speed control and flow control.
- Describe the operation of typical hydraulic relays found in the UT70 control system
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret information from the control and lever diagrams.
- Explain all necessary adjustments required on turbine related parts.
- Using the Governing Diagram, the Control Line Up Diagram, and the UT70 Lever Diagram and Setting Instructions, list and describe the steps required in the line up and calibration of the control system.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to troubleshoot routine problems.
- Feed Pump Turbine Fundamentals and Auxiliaries: Design Data, Shells, Rotors and Valves, Lubrication System, Steam Seal System
- Basic Principles of Speed Governing: Elementary Speed Control, Speed Regulation, Speed Setting Function, Hydraulic Relays,Speed Governing System using Hydraulic Relays
- Description of Prolop UT70-15 and UT70-30 Turbine Arrangements: General Feed Pump Turbine Applications, Prolop MHC Arrangement,UT-70 MHC Turbine Arrangement, Description of UT70-15 MHC Control System, General, Speed Control System, Speed Setting System
- Controls Diagram
- Trip Valves Function: Overspeed Governor, Thrust Bearing Wear Trip Device, Zero Speed Indicator, Hydraulic Low Vacuum Trip Device,Trip and Reset Mechanism
- Operating Cylinder and Air Motor Friction Lag Limits: Operating Cylinders, Secondary Operating Cylinder Connected to Valve Gear,Air Motors, Pressure Tap Locations for Operating Cylinder Lag Tests, Travel vs. Travel Lag Checks, Troubleshooting to Correct Friction and Lost Motion
- Explanation of UT70 Lever Diagram: MGU-MSC Speed Setting System, Air Motor - MSC Speed Setting System
- Sequence of Lever Setting Instructions
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, (GE) Feed Pump Turbine UT70 Controls.
- A "Certificate of Completion” with 14 PDH awarded.
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date, pay in advance, and pay for only 2 (the 3rd
participant is free)!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? No, this course is too dependent upon print reading.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services perform a functional checkout and calibration of your control system during the upcoming outage OR provide troubleshooting support should it be required? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
Steam Turbine I&C Maintenance Certification
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.) Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com
, for detail on this certification program.