This course is designed to familiarize the participant with the design and operation of a mechanical drive turbine and the control system. Upon course completion, it is intended that the participant be able to maintain and troubleshoot this control system such that unit availability and reliability are positively affected. Typical mechanical drive turbine applications include boiler feed pump drives and compressor drives.
includes: Feed Pump Fundamentals, Auxiliaries, MDT Overview, LPSV, HPSV, CV and Valve Operating Cylinders, Hydraulic Servo Amplifier, Signal Converter, Signal Memory Function, Speed Summation, Speed Pickup Failure Monitoring, Low Speed Switch, Hydraulic Trip System, Valve Lift, Power Supplies
This course is recommended for electrical maintenance supervisors / superintendents, I&C technicians and engineers. It is also recommended that participants bring with them control system schematics for classroom use and study.
On-site presentations make specific use of that site's prints and schematics throughout the course presentation. Where examinations are required, the site presentation is recommended to be 2.5 days minimum.
Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Describe the major components of a feed pump turbine.
- Given the governing diagram, describe the operation of the following system components:
- Pilot Valve and LVDT
- Operating Cylinder and LVDT
- Control Valve Linkage
- LP Stop and Control Valves
- HP Stop and Control Valve
- List and describe the usage of all required drawings and support documents required for system calibration.
- Explain the operation and be able to describe the processing of signals in the following sections:
- Operator and Pilot Valve Position Feedback
- Hydraulic Servo Amplifier Output
- Signal Converter
- Signal Memory Function
- Redundant Speed Pickups
- Speed Pickup Monitoring
- Speed Feedback, Speed and Valve List Reference Summation
- Power Supplies
- Power Supply Monitoring
- Low Speed Switch
- 105% Lockout
- Explain all necessary adjustments required on turbine related parts.
- Using the Governing Diagram, the Control Line Up Diagram, and the MDT-20/80 Governor Setting Instructions, list and describe the steps required in the line up and calibration of the control system.
- Feed Pump Turbine Fundamentals and Auxiliaries: Design Data, Shells, Rotors, Valves, Lubrication System, Steam Seal System
- MDT Overview
- Stop Valves: LPSV Operation, LPSV Instrumentation, LPSV Test Circuit, HPSV
- Control Valves and Valve Operating Cylinders: Operation, Instrumentation
- Hydraulic Servo Amplifier and Pilot Valve Position: Circuit Function, Overview, Circuit Description, Adjustment and Checks
- Signal Converter: Circuit Function, Overview, Circuit Description, Adjustment and Checks
- Signal Memory Function: Circuit Function, Overview, Circuit Description, Adjustment and Checks
- Redundancy Speed Pickup Feedback, Speed Summation and Valve Lift: Circuit Function, Overview, Circuit Description, Adjustment and Checks
- Speed Pickup Failure Monitoring: Circuit Function, Overview, Circuit Description, Adjustment and Checks
- Low Speed Switch, 105% Lockout, and Tachometer Indicators: Circuit Function, Overview, Circuit Description, Adjustment and Checks
- Hydraulic Trip System: Trip Relay Valve, Trip Valve, Reset Device, Lockout Valve, Emergency Governor, Test Sequence, Thrust Bearing Wear Trip, Vacuum Trip, Electrical Trip Logic
- Power Supplies: Function, Circuit Description, Checks and Adjustments
This course was at Plant Vogtle (summer 2003). The following is an unsolicited comment made by one of the attending I&C Technicians, Joe has 18 years experience at this plant: "Perfect Instructor! I was already proficient on the MDT20 and I have gained even more experience & knowledge!
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date, pay in advance, and pay for only 2 (the 3rd
participant is free)!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, (GE) Feed Pump Turbine MDT 20/80 Controls.
- A "Certificate of Completion" with 14 PDH awarded.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? No, this course is too dependent upon print reading.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services perform a functional checkout and calibration of your control system during the upcoming outage OR provide troubleshooting support should it be required? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
Steam Turbine I&C Maintenance Certification
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.) Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com
, for detail on this certification program.