This course was designed for plant operators who require a solid understanding of the purpose and application of power plant protective relays. The attendees are guided through a discussion on each type of protective relay found in the plant. This discussion is then reinforced by looking at each major piece of electrical equipment in the plant and discussing:
- What types of protection are needed and why.
- Which protective relays are appropriate to provide the needed protection?
- The damaging affects of no protection or faulty protection.
Finally, analyzing the protective relaying schemes for several different plants further reinforces the concepts discussed. We encourage the attendees to bring the one-line electrical diagram(s) showing the protective relays used at their plant. This is a great way to ensure the attendee understands the purpose and application of all the protective relays at his/her plant!
includes: The Purpose and Application of Protective Relays, Protective Relay Applications, Protective Relay Fundamentals, Protective Relay Construction, Overcurrent Protection, Voltage Relaying, Frequency Relaying and Differential Relaying.
FYI, this class runs Monday thru Wednesday. On Thursday / Friday of the same week there is another interesting course scheduled, “Fundamentals of Frequency / Voltage Control”, OP321. Attend both classes and HPC will provide a discount on the total fee.
At the completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Explain the purpose of a protective relay.
- Describe the different types of relays available.
- Discuss a basic relay circuit.
- Explain the importance of relay coordination.
- Discuss current and voltage transformers used in protective relaying schemes.
- Discuss a current, voltage, or differential relaying scheme, from the development of a signal to providing a protective function.
- Discuss differential relaying and its applications in a power system in protecting generators, transformers, and buses from overloads and faults.
- The Purpose and Application of Protective Relays: Protective Relay Applications: The Generic Protective Relay Channel
- Protective Relay Fundamentals: Relay Ratings and Definitions, Relay Performance Measures, Power System Protection, Power System Functional Layout, Zones of Protection, Coordinating Principles
- Protective Relay Construction: Types of Relays, Electromagnetic, Solid State
- Instrument Transformers: Potential Transformers, Current Transformers
- Overcurrent Protection: Application, Instantaneous Relays, Time Overcurrent Relays, Overcurrent Relaying Coordination, Solid State Overcurrent Relays
- Voltage Relaying: Purpose and Application, Construction and Types
- Frequency Relaying: Purpose and Application, Construction, Types
- Differential Relaying: The Differential Principle, Differential Circuit Advantages, Generator Differential Protection, Transformer Differential Protection
All HPC instructors are educated ‘experts’ on the subjects they teach, with years of relevant hands-on experience (typically 20+ years), and have proven instructional skills. Brief resumes can be looked up on HPC’s website, www.hpcnet.com.
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date, pay in advance, and pay for only 2 (the 3rd
participant is free)!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, email@example.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document?
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in conducting functional checkouts or troubleshooting problems? Yes we can. Call or contact Harold Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org for our rate sheets and any further information required.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, OP316 Protective Relays for Operators.
- A "Certificate of Completion"
Power Plant operator Certification
This course is one of the courses required for Power Plant Operator Certification.
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.) Consult HPC's website, www.hpcnet.com
, for detail on this certification program.