This course was designed to provide the participant with the knowledge necessary for maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing GE's Potential Source and Shunt SCR Static Excitation Systems. This course provides a detailed coverage description of the equipment, principles of operation, as well as maintenance and troubleshooting. This course is a print intensive course with emphasis on expected voltage levels at the test points provided on the cards. This course is recommended for both technicians and engineers.
includes: System Overview, Identification of Major Components, Inner Loop Regulator, AC/DC Gate, Firing Circuit, AC Regulator, Relaying, SCR Bridge, Maintenance and Troubleshooting.
This course is designed for Engineers, Technicians, and Electricians who have a need to maintain this system.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe how the Static Excitation System works.
- Location the major components making up the Static Excitation System.
- State the purpose of each of these major components.
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret alarms.
- Describe corrective actions to be taken, given an alarm description.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to perform recommended operational tests.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to perform periodical maintenance.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to accurately calibrate this system utilizing the necessary OEM drawings.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to quickly and safely troubleshoot systems if a problem should occur or a component fail within the system.
- Major Components: Power Potential Transformer (PPT), Regulator Section, Rectifier Section
- DC Regulator
- Inner Loop Regulator
- AC/DC Gate
- Firing Circuit Control: Synchronizer, Reference Phasor, Trigger Generator Boards, Gate Driver
- AC Regulator: Signal Conditioner, AC Voltage Sensor, Impedance Compensator, AC Regulator, AC SVA, Transfer and Tracking, Underexcited Reactive Ampere Limit (URAL)
- Relaying and Control Circuits
- SCR Rectifier Bridge
- Maintenance: Preventive Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Repair
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date, pay in advance, and pay for only 2 (the 3rd
participant is free)!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
All HPC instructors are educated ‘experts’ on the subjects they teach, with years of relevant hands-on experience (typically 20+ years), and have proven instructional skills. Brief resumes can be looked up on HPC’s website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, (GE) Static Bus Fed Excitation System
- A "Certificate of Completion"
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? This course relays heavily on print reading and exercise.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in the maintenance troubleshooting of your excitation system? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
Generator I&C Certification
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.) Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com
, for detail on this certification program.