Excitation System reliability and availability can be a matter of skilled routine maintenance activity and proficient troubleshooting capability. Proficient troubleshooting is greatly aided by a solid operational understanding of the excitation system and its voltage regulator. This course gives technicians and engineers the necessary knowledge to maintain, repair and calibrate an Excitation System with the EX2000 Voltage Regulator:
- Using effective routine maintenance practices.
- Knowing what checks may be performed on-line and how to perform these checks without causing an equipment shutdown.
- Increasing the likelihood of accurate problem diagnosis by thoroughly understanding how the equipment operates.
- Increasing the likelihood of accurate problem diagnosis by understanding any given circuit's impact upon operations; ie., quickly linking the symptom(s) to the faulty circuit.
- Verifying suspected faulty circuit by analyzing voltage levels and/or signal traces.
- Understanding the necessary calibrations, after the faulty part has been replaced, including how the calibrations are performed.
HPC's EX2000 Excitation System course makes heavy use of prints, on which the participants are encouraged to take notes. This provides a valuable reference for future use. In addition, the student manuals contain a complete description of the excitation system operation.
Topics include: Excitation System Fundamentals, EX2000 Features, One-Line Diagram, Cabinet Layout, Board Interconnections and Descriptions, Control Core Software Functions, Protective Functions, Programmer, ST2000, IOS and Peripheral
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss how an excitation system accomplishes voltage and VAR control.
- Discuss the primary and secondary roles of an excitation system.
- Discuss the major excitation system components, including limit and protective features.
- Demonstrate the ability to read the EX2000 documentation, including:
- Elementary Diagrams
- Interconnection Diagrams
- Functional Blocks
- Hardware Configurable Items
- Demonstrate an understanding of the EX2000 board interconnections.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Control Core Software Functions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Protection Module Software Functions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Software Functions.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to use the Programmer.
- Demonstrate familiarity and knowledge necessary to use the Intelligent Operator Station.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the peripheral functions.
- Demonstrate an ability to properly use "Toolbox" software functions.
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy
applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date and pay for only 2!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
- Excitation System Fundamentals
- Features of the Digital EX2000 Voltage Regulator
- EX2000 One Line Diagram
- Cabinet Layout
- Board Interconnections & Descriptions: Drive Control Card, Microprocessor Application Board, DC Power & Feedback Board, Power Connect Card, SCR High Voltage Interface, PTCT Board, LAN Communications Card, ARCNET Terminal Board, LAN Terminal Board, I/O Termination Board, Relay Terminal Board
- Control Core Software Functions: Automatic Voltage Regulator, AVR Reference Ramping, Manual Voltage Regulator (FVR), FVR Reference Ramping, Automatic Follow-Up, Reactive Current Compensator, Volts per Hertz Regulator, Over-Excitation Limiter, Generator Field Temperature Calculation, Under-Excitation Limit, Voltage Matching, Power System Stabilizer, PT Failure Detector
- Protection Module Software Functions: Volts/Hertz Protection, On-Line Over Excitation Protection, Off-Line Excitation Protection, Under Excitation Protection, Exciter Phase Unbalance Protection, Generator Overvoltage Protection
- Software Functions: Power Factor Controller, VAR Controller
- Programmer: Operate Mode, Parameter Mode, Diagnostic Mode
- Intelligent Operator Station: Maintenance-Free Diagnostics, Configurator, Permissive Engines, Analog Display Values, Control Commands, Status Indications
- Peripheral Functions: Power Supply Module, Shaft Voltage Suppression Module, Field Ground Detector, Field Flashing, De-excitation Module, Thyrite
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, (GE) EX2000 Voltage Regulator
- A "Certificate of Completion" with 31 PDH.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? No, this book is not for sale.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in the maintenance troubleshooting of your excitation system? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
Generator I&C Certification
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.) Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com
, for detail on this certification program.