One of our leading consultants has stated numerous times that the transformer is the “heartbeat” of the grid. Without the transformers we will deliver no power to our customers at all. In this course we will learn how a transformer operates and how it is usually safeguarded. One means of safeguarding transformer operation there is a need to not exceed nameplate ratings and we need to interpret this nameplate data. Next we need to fully appreciate the insulation it is tested. The current, of course generates a tremendous amount of heat, and participants will learn what are the limitations, what are the means of cooling, and how to recognize trouble. Once a participant fully appreciates how the transformer functions, and how it is protected, one can better understand and apply preventive maintenance procedures.
This course covers the theory, operation, maintenance and testing of power transformers and auxiliary equipment. Topics included are transformer fundamentals, transformer ratings, transformer cooling, nitrogen gas systems, insulation systems, maintenance activities. The course concludes with in-depth discussions on transformer testing techniques. This course is applicable to technicians and engineers who need a sound understanding of power transformer operation and maintenance.
Upon completion of this course, the participant should be able to:
- Describe transformer operation and simple theory.
- Demonstrate understanding of transformer nameplate data.
- Describe the different types of transformer construction and designs
- Understand the concept that insulation is the "heart of the transformer" and thus maintenance efforts are for its preservation
- Describe how normal and abnormal operating conditions affect the transformer reliability.
- Demonstrate knowledge of procedures to prevent early failure and/or extending life
- Describe obstacles to reliability/availability of transformers, to include; Moisture, Heat, Forces, Voltage stress, Oxygen and Contamination
- Describe different maintenance methods.
- Describe maintenance testing and evaluation methods.
- Demonstrate ability to apply knowledge gained, to actual transformer maintenance activities.
- Concept of insulation being the "heart of the transformer"
- Goal of maintenance
- Obstacles: Heat, Moisture, Forces, Voltage stress, Oxygen and Contamination
- Maintenance Methods
- Transformer theory and operation: Theory, Understanding nameplate, Review of different design and construction types, Transformer components, No load and full load tap changing, Delta and wye connections
- Aging: Results of normal operation, Results of abnormal operation
- Transformer maintenance testing: Fluid testing, Insulation testing, Winding tests
- Transformer maintenance and application of testing: Application of tests, Frequency of maintenance tests and repair, Recommended maintenance schedules
- Remedies: In field repair, Oil filtering, Dry out, Service shop repair
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy
applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date and pay for only 2!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
What you will receive
- HPC Technical Services' fully illustrated textbook: High Voltage Transformer Maintenance.
- HPC's Certificate of Completion with 31 PDH awarded.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document?
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary and it needs to priced on an individual need basis. You gain from the customization and price.
- Is HPC Technical Services' consultants available for "technical advise" on the evaluation of your maintenance procedures, systems, tests? Call Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a rate sheet.