This 4.5-day course was developed with the goal to improve plant personnel’s understanding of the maintenance requirements associated with a (GE) Frame 7EA gas turbine-generator. The target audience is mechanics, operations personnel, plant management, and engineers who have a need to better understand the need for and the activities associated with gas turbine-generator maintenance. Detailed discussions surround the planning and activities of a combustion inspection, a hot-gas-path inspection, major inspections, and generator inspections. Discussions include planning, safety, maintenance procedures, and considerations regarding replace/repair/reuse decision making. The participant will learn the most common causes of gas path damage and the impact upon efficiency, reliability, and availability. Related topics of discussion will include clearance data taking, NDE, bearing inspections, alignment issues.
In many ways all GE industrial gas turbines are alike. When you get into the detail, as you will when taking apart and inspecting your gas turbine, however, there are ‘huge’ differences. Therefore, this class concentrates on the 7E design with greater attention to the frame 7EA.
Simply stated, the overall objective of this course is for the participant to ask better questions of those consultants often hired, to better understand the answers received, and, therefore, make better decisions regarding planning, repair/replace/reuse, and disassembly/reassembly. The end result is more effective outage planning and the management of outage activities.
This course was developed by, and is instructed by, ex-GE field engineers with considerable experience.
Upon successful completion of this course the participant should be able to:
- List and describe the major components and systems associated with the Frame 7EA gas turbine.
- List the gas turbine operational and safety issues that typically cause the scheduling of a maintenance outage.
- Describe the purpose and conceptual differences of a combustion, hot-gas-path, and major inspection.
- Demonstrate sufficient knowledge to conduct a combustion, hot-gas-path, or major inspection.
- List the considerations that are to be included when developing an outage plan or schedule.
- Describe the major considerations when making repair/replace/reuse decisions.
- Describe the purpose of the Frame 7EA support systems.
- Describe the procedures for the safe and effective disassembly/reassembly of the gas turbine components.
- List and describe the most common causes of gas path damage and the possible effect upon gas turbine operations.
- Describe the type and purpose of clearance and alignment measurements commonly taken during the disassembly and reassembly of the gas turbine unit.
- List and describe the various non-destructive examinations that are performed during disassembly of the gas turbine.
- Describe the common procedures for cleaning and inspecting gas turbine components.
- Describe the common repair methods for gas turbine components.
- Describe the methods used to properly align gas turbine-generator components.
- Describe the major components found on generators driven by the 7EA gas turbines.
- Describe the disassembly/reassembly of the generator components.
- List and describe the mechanical maintenance activities performed on the generators.
- List and describe the electrical testing commonly performed on the generator.
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date and pay for only 2!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs?
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? This text is not yet available for purchase.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in outage planning, implementation or troubleshooting? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
- Frame 7EA Gas Turbine Construction: Fundamental Theory, Turbine Function, and Component Description
- Gas Turbine Maintenance Considerations
- Maintenance Preparation & Planning: Periodic Inspections, Running Inspections, Combustion Inspection, Hot Gas Path Inspection, Major Inspection, Documentation & Scheduling
- Brief Description of Gas Turbine Support System
- Combustion Inspection: Accessibility, Part Identification, Ignition Components, Flame Detector, Combustion Components, Borescope Inspection, Reassembly
- Hot Gas Path Inspection: Accessibility, Turbine Shell Disassembly, Nozzle Disassembly, Inspection, Reassembly
- Major Inspection: Accessibility, Disassembly, Bearings, Rotor Removal, Compressor Rotor, Compressor Stator, Reassembly
- Alignment: Readings, Procedure
- Generator: Fundamentals, Construction, Mechanical Maintenance, Electrical Testing
Gas Turbine Certification
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC’s Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required to qualify. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete the examination will receive a “certification of completion” that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a “To Whom it May Concern” letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants’ employer and one for the participants’ personal file.) Consult HPC’s website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com
for detail on HPC’s gas turbine certification program.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, (GE) Frame 7E Gas Turbine Generator Maintenance.
- A Certificate of Completion with 31 PDH