KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE is needed to develop and implement an effective heat rate monitoring and improvement program. HPC Technical Services will provide the fundamental knowledge. Then, with this knowledge, experience can be applied more effectively as you're better prepared for the tasks at hand.
- Are high fuel costs having an impact upon your plant's bottom line? Improved efficiency can help survive these costs.
- Do long-term fuel contracts have you down? Improved efficiency can help lift you back up.
- Are you evaluating the competitive positioning of your plant? Improved efficiency will certainly improve your market positioning.
- Are you new to this position and/or just been given these responsibilities? If yes, this course gives you a significant head-start over the OJT approach.
The course is designed to provide combined cycle power plant personnel with the fundamental knowledge to be able to begin the development, or to implement an effective heat rate improvement program. Design and operating theories of combined cycle plant equipment are presented. Thermodynamics and heat transfer are reviewed and practically applied to operation. Calculations are performed, using actual test data, to determine steam and gas turbine efficiency, condenser cleanliness, turbine cycle heat rate, corrections, HRSG efficiency, and feedwater heater performance.
At the successful completion of this seminar the attendee will be able to:
- Describe the thermodynamic principles that apply to a steam turbine, gas turbine, HRSG within a combined cycle power plant.
- Describe the operational / performance factors that impact the combined cycle performance.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the level of testing and monitoring required to determine plant heat rate performance.
- Describe the major steps required to perform 3 major component performance tests.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze plant performance data to determine where component efficiency has deteriorated
- Determine realistic heat rate improvement goals
- Develop corrective action plans to achieve the established heat rate performance goals.
- List the types of measuring equipment and perform the calculations required to analyze plant performance.
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy
applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date and pay for only 2!
For those participants who “Training Savings Program
” members, your account balance will be reduced by 60% of the quoted open-enrollment price (yes that is 40% off for paying for volume in advance).
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
- Gas Turbines: Thermodynamic Cycles for Gas Turbines, Component Construction, Gas Turbine Generators, Gas Turbine Systems,Operation and Maintenance Considerations
- ASME Performance Test Codes Applicable to Gas Turbines
- Combustion Turbine Performance: Design Point Performance, Off-Design Performance, Transient Performance, Correction Curves, Performance Testing, Performance Trending and Evaluation
- Efficiency Monitoring Program: Establish Needs for Program, Establish Level of Detail from Needs Analysis, Identify Baseline Data, Determine Frequency of Testing and Monitoring, Performance Calculations,Performance Monitoring and Trending
- Steam Turbine Cycle: Thermodynamics, Turbine Theory, Types and Designs, Turbine Efficiency Determinations, Factors Influencing Efficiency
- Practical Aspects for Turbine Testing, Diagnosis of Turbine Problems, Examples of Testing Programs
- Heat Recovery Steam Generator: Thermodynamics, Theory and Principles, HRSG Flowpaths, Major Components, Factors Influencing Efficiency, Performance Calculations, Performance Monitoring and Trending
- Heat Exchanger: Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer Relationships, Condensers Theory & Components, Condenser Testing, Factors Affecting Performance, Feedwater Heaters, Deaerators
- Cooling Tower Performance: Thermodynamics, Function/Principles, Flowpaths/Components, Controls/Operations, Performance Monitoring
- Measuring Instruments
- Combined Cycle Power Operation: CC Theory and Operation, Cycle Parameters Impact on Performance, Benefits of the Combined Cycle,
- Fuels for Combined Cycle Plants
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? Can HPC customize the course? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? $195 + S&H.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in the planning and conduct of a performance analysis? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, Fundamentals of Combined Cycle Plant Performance. This text contains a significant number of equipment photographs, graphics and data tables.
- A Certificate of Completion with 31 PDH.
Combined Cycle Operations And/Or Maintenance Certification
There are two levels of certification (Both levels require this course):
- Control Room Operator
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.)
Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com
, for detail on this certification program.