“Concepts of Combustion Turbine Controls" is a course designed to provide a working knowledge of combustion turbines and their associated control and protection equipment. Although not the focus of the course, attendees will gain a solid understanding of how power is generated. Turbine controls system design concepts are the primary focus. Included in these discussions are Start Up Sequencing, Speed/Load Control, Temperature Control, Emission Controls and CT Protection. All discussions are conceptual. It is our intention that the participant understand these topics well enough (conceptually) that they can be readily applied to any combustion turbine operating unit.
includes: Review of Combustion Turbine Fundamentals, Fuel Flow Considerations, Start Up Sequencing, Speed/Load Control, Temperature Control, Emissions, Protective Circuits.
Recommended for Engineers and E&I Technicians.
Upon successful completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Describe considerations for determining the combustion turbine start sequence.
- Describe how combustion turbine controls function off-line.
- Describe how combustion turbine controls function on-line and being responsive to grid conditions.
- Describe how combustion turbine controls function in temperature control.
- Describe emission concerns and differences in approach to minimize emissions.
- Describe considerations in determining fuel flow (demand for inlet valve positions).
- Describe operation of typical servomechanisms such as the Abex and Moog servo-valves.
- Describe typical operational exercises.
- Describe typical routine preventive maintenance activities.
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy
applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date and pay for only 2!
For those participants who “Training Savings Program
” members, your account balance will be reduced by 60% of the quoted open-enrollment price (yes that is 40% off for paying for volume in advance).
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
- Combustion Turbine Fundamentals
- Fuel Flow:Gas, Fuel Oil, Split Fuel Operations, Feedback, Servo Mechanisms
- Start Up / Shutdown Sequence:Validation of systems, Cranking, Fire Circuits, Speed Circuits, Shutdown
- Speed Load Control: Speed Command, Speed Feedback, Adjustment of Fuel Flow, Load Demand, Auto Synchronizing
- Temperature Control: Definition of terms, Exhaust Temperature Setpoint, Exhaust Temperature Feedback
- Emissions: Water Injection, Steam Injection, DLN
- Protective Circuits: Overspeed, Over Temperature, Loss of Flame, Auxiliaries
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? Can HPC customize the course presentation? YES, call or email Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? No, this course book is not for sale.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services perform a functional checkout and calibration of your control system during the upcoming outage OR provide troubleshooting support should it be required? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, Concepts of Combustion Turbine Controls, as written by Harold Parker.
- A Certificate of Completion with 14 PDH.
Combustion TURBINE I&C and Field Engineering Maintenance CERTIFICATION
Those who attend this course are automatically qualified to take HPC Technical Services' Certification Examination. This examination is offered at no additional expense to the participant. An 80% passing grade is required. The examination length will not exceed 2-hours. Those who complete this examination will receive a revised "certificate of completion" that recognizes this accomplishment along with two-copies of a "To Whom It May Concern" letter that states their accomplishment. (Two copies are provided, one for the participants' employer and one for the participants' personal file.)
Consult HPC's website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com
, for detail on this certification program.
All HPC instructors are educated ‘experts’ on the subjects they teach, with years of relevant hands-on experience (typically 20+ years), and have proven instructional skills. Brief resumes can be looked up on HPC’s website, www.TurbineGeneratorTraining.com