Management of water chemistry can result in significant benefits, including reduced hydrogen damage, a reduction in the number of boiler tube failures, improved unit reliability, and the minimizing of corrosion deposition. Learn how to better manage water chemistry in this course. Learn what are the proper responses when chemical parameters are exceeded. Participants will also gain a better understanding of the consequences of operation while boiler and feed water chemistry limits are being exceeded.
This course is designed for fossil power plant operators and supervisors who are involved in testing feed water or boiler water, and making adjustments to chemical pumps based on their analysis. The course provides an understanding of the role of chemistry in a power plant and the effect of chemical controls on the operation of the system.
Unit efficiency, reliability, and availability can be adversely affected by improper boiler water chemistry. The results of a multi-million dollar overhaul can be negated during start-up due to improper boiler water chemistry. HPC instructors bring over 30 years of hands on experience to this training seminar.
At the completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Describe the various types of impurities found in water.
- Describe the differences between elements, compounds, and mixtures.
- Describe the Octet rule and valence shells.
- Describe the difference between a solvent and a solute.
- Describe the difference between acids and bases.
- Describe the factors that effect corrosion.
- Describe the methods to reduce or prevent corrosion.
- Describe the various means of raw water treatment.
- Describe the phase changes of water.
- Describe the types and purposes of various types of feedwater and boilerwater chemical treatment.
- Describe the various types of in-line analyzers.
- Introduction: Boiler Feedwater Treatment Developments, Treatment of Water, Impurities
- Chemistry Fundamentals: Properties of Matter, States of Matter, Elements, Compounds, and mixtures, Energy Relationships, Atomic Structure and the Periodic Chart, Chemical Symbols, Chemical Formulas, Chemical Equations, Solutions and Solubility, Solution Concentrations, Solubility, Acids and Bases, Ionization of Water, Neutralization, Electrochemistry
- Corrosion: Environmental Effects, Electrochemical Process, Factors Affecting Corrosion, The Chemistry of Corrosion, Galvanic Series, Electromotive Series, Alkaline and Acidic Solutions, Uniform & Location Corrosion, Pitting Corrosion, Stress Corrosion, Exfoliation: Corrosion Fatigue, Caustic Corrosion, Hydrogen Damage
- Make Up Water Treatment: Clarification, Filtration, Water Softening, Demineralization, Types of Resins, Regeneration, Fouling, Reverse Osmosis
- Boiler Water Treatment: Properties of Water, Boiler Water Treatment, Feedwater Treatment, Deaerator, Oxygen Scavengers, Contaminants
- Control Guidelines: EPRI Guidelines, Boiler Water Analysis, Feedwater Analysis
- Instrumentation: Analyzers, Sampling Water and Steam, On-Line Sample Panel, Conductivity Analyzers, pH Analyzer, Sodium Analyzers, Chloride Analyzers, Dissolved Oxygen Analyzers, Hydrazine Analyzers, Silica Analyzer
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees. Course is typically 3-days in length.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date, pay in advance, and pay for only 2 (the 3rd
participant is free)!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or email Stephen Parker,
stparker@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs? Yes.
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? No, not at this time.
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in problem solving or chemistry audits? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker,
stparker@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.
What you will receive
- 1 copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, Boiler Water Treatment for Operators.
- A "Certificate of Completion" with 14 PDH awarded.