It takes a combination of operating experience and education to qualify for and pass many of the boiler operator certification programs. The education part of this equation may be dispersed over a large time period. The exam is not. The exam examines current knowledge. It is HPC’s goal to provide refresher training in preparation for the scheduled examination. HPC's Boiler Operator Training and Certification Course targets qualified Operators for instruction and preparation of any State, City, or Third Party, or our own certification examination.
It can be very important for the employers to have the satisfaction that their boiler operators are knowledgeable in the operation and maintenance of their boilers and associated equipment. This course gives the employers the piece of mind that the employees are prepared for the examination. The examination itself is intended to determine, if indeed, the individual is qualified to operate the boilers and the equipment associated with the boilers. As part of HPC’s course schedule, an examination is scheduled on the afternoon of the 5th day. The exam is administered and proctored by a licensed representative of the National Institute for Uniform Licensing of Professional Engineers. An application for the certification must be filled out and signed by a supervisor at your plant and faxed to HPC Corporate Office prior to the course presentation
A third party licensing agency is any organization that certifies operators in the areas of operation, maintenance, safety, and theory of boilers, turbines, refrigeration, and electrical fundamentals. Below is a list of objectives of a third party licensing agency.
- Establishes and maintains uniform standards as to qualifications for power engineers.
- Promotes safety as per preamble.
- Assists certifying agencies to determine the competence of power engineers through investigations and examinations, which test the qualifications of voluntary candidates for certifications to be issued under the rules of the Services.
- Grants and issue commissions to certifying agencies applying and qualifying.
- Maintains a registry of all certifying agencies meeting the requirements.
- Serves as a clearinghouse to facilitate reciprocity between all certifying agencies.
- Maintains a registry of all examiners who meet the requirements and are commissioned by the certifying agency.
- Develops and keeps current uniform terms and definitions, updating terminology and eliminating obsolete terms.
- Encourages the enforcement and compliance to all codes, laws, and acts assuring the protection of health, life and property, (i.e. Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, Public Law 91-596, and the accepted engineering practice standards in appendices B and C in the Boca Basic Mechanical Code/1971, Air Pollution Control, Article II of the Boca Mechanical Code 1971).
- Publishes a standard curriculum for the study, education, requirements, power equipment rating, and automation, etc.
- Acts as advisor to educational entities engaged in teaching of power engineering and technology.
There are five levels (classifications) of licenses:
- Chief Engineer
- First Class Engineer
- Second Class Engineer
- Third Class Engineer
- Fourth Class Engineer
An applicant for examination for such licenses shall be required to fulfill the following general requirements for all classifications:
- Complete the required form, stating accurately and in detail all the mechanical and electrical training and experience the examinee has acquired relative to the examination for which he/she is a candidate.
- Satisfy the Examining Board as to character and ability.
- Prove that the examinee has attained the age required for certification.
- Take an affidavit as printed on application, attesting that all statements are true.
- Answer examination questions presented and obtain a minimum percentage of correct responses as required.
- Pay the required fee as prescribed by the Certifying Agency.
Examinations are prepared with every attempt to insure fairness to the candidate. Accepted methods and theory of tests and measurement will be employed. Examinations are kept valid by revision and updating.
How Can HPC Help?
- HPC provides a one-week course to prepare the candidate for the exam (item 5 above). This course is instructed by a certified instructor.
- HPC contracts the third party agency to assist the examinee in the preparation of all forms and to administer the exam.
- The third party licensing agency, under agreements with HPC, will then process the examination and provide the appropriate certifications.
What Do You Receive For Your Tuition?
- Attendance in the examination preparation course (see outline below).
- Application and Examination fees are included as part of your tuition.
- Introduction and Pre-Test
- Boilers: Theory and Operation, Boiler Mathematics, Construction and Design, Steam Systems and Controls, Combustion and Pollution, Feedwater, Corrosion, Water Treatment, Boiler Controls, Water Treatment, Pumps and Injectors, Plant Auxiliaries to include Feedwater Heaters, Steam Non-Return Valves, Expansion Joints, Heaters, Steam Separator, Sight Feed Lubricator, Steam Trap Reducing Valve, Feed Water Regulator, Steam Engines, Steam Turbines, Steam Condensers, Steam Plant Accessories
- Fuel Systems and Controls: Boiler Grates, Burners
- Draft and Flue Gas Systems: Combustion and Pollution, Boiler Operation & Maintenance, Safety
- Air Conditioning: Refrigeration, Air Compressors
- Logs: Log Review, Inspection, Regulations
Course Dates / Location / Fee
for detail on the course dates / locations / and registration fees. Course typically 5-days in length, including exam.
HPC’s 3-4-2 policy applies: Sign up 3 for the same course/date, pay in advance, and pay for only 2 (the 3rd
participant is free)!
HPC Technical Services reserves the right to cancel any course/seminar within 10-working days of the scheduled date. Fees are 100% refunded or credited to another Seminar (clients' choice) if HPC should cancel any Seminar. HPC is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other travel expenses under any circumstance.
What you will receive
- One copy of HPC Technical Services' textbook, Boiler Operator Training and Certification. It is a valuable desktop reference in addition to being able to enhance the learning process.
- A "Certificate of Completion" with 31 PDH awarded.
- An opportunity to complete a NIULPE boiler operator examination at the level you qualify.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will HPC Technical Services bring this course to our location for our personnel only? YES, call or Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for a price quotation.
- Will HPC Technical Services customize the presentation at our site to suit our particular needs? Yes.
- Is HPC Technical Services' textbook available for purchase as a reference document? Coming Soon
- What is the cost for HPC Technical Service to deliver this course at our location? Well, of course that can vary, but generally speaking, if you're planning on having 6+ attend, when considering your T&L, it is to your advantage to perform the course at your plant (office). You gain from the customization and price.
- Can HPC Technical Services provide "Technical Assistance" in conducting functional checkouts, writing procedures, or troubleshooting problems? Yes we can. Call or contact Stephen Parker, Stephen@TurbineGeneratorTraining.com for our rate sheets and any further information required.